Friday, February 10, 2012

Easy-peasy appliqué - cute keyring tutorial

I guess this could be a favourite way of using up scraps - making 'pictures' with fabrics or using the cute motifs for quick and easy gifts.

Gran taught me the 'old skool' turned appliqué technique which is beautiful but requires patience and lots of  precise little hand stitches.  It still has its place, but I'm going to show you how quick and easy it is with fusible web.  The products I use are Visoflex (preferred) or Steam-a-seam lite (slightly heavier/more ridged end result).

You don't need to be a hand sewing whiz.  And if you have pre-school kids, there is a spin off project - my three year old gets the offcuts to arrange into pretty collages, which I then iron down for her.  Paint, glitter, beads, lace, pasta, sand and other textures can be added over the top.










This little key ring project is just a taste of what you might do - other things I've appliquéd:
Aprons, tea towels, towels, bibs, tees, bags of all kinds, diary/journal covers, cushions....really the list is endless.





Pin It

5 comments:

  1. love it -such a great way to use a cute picture on some fabric. adding to my list of things to do!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've 'dabbled' in applique - but yours a way cuter than mine! Will have to give some of these ideas a go! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are so cute. I need inspiration like this to get going. Now just need to get off the computer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are so cute. Just the inspiration I need to get the machine out. Sometimes it's just finding little things like this that gets the sewing bug flowing. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just love this! I'm going to try this tutorial - thanks x

    ReplyDelete

It makes my day to recieve your comment, so thanks for taking the time! :o)